5 Reasons to Install Fireplace Doors
Anyone who has an open fireplace knows that fire can be dangerous and damaging to whatever’s in the immediate vicinity—flooring, furniture and people! With this in mind, it’s always a good idea to equip your fireplace with glass fireplace doors to better contain fires and to add a stylish finish to the focal point of your living space. These kinds of doors are better than screens because they help regulate heat, contain smoke and prevent rogue sparks. A set of custom fireplace doors work well with both wood-burning and gas fireplaces regardless of the size, aesthetic or shape of your fire feature.
- They Make Fireplaces Safer—When babyproofing your home, one of the first things you’ll need to do is block off the fireplace from toddling little ones. Adding doors—importantly, those with locking handles—will ensure that your child doesn’t wind up burning herself and also helps to prevent rogue sparks from landing on and burning anyone in the room. They will also block off curious pets from getting too close to a hot, open flame, preventing singed fur! Fireplace doors also restrict air supply, which can be a life-saver if your fireplace is affected by a chimney fire.
- They Protect Your Home—If you’ve ever lived in a house with an open fireplace, you know that sparks will inevitably fly. And, if you’re like most of us, you’ve got expensive rugs, furniture and artwork in the immediate vicinity of your fire feature to help you enjoy its warm, cozy feel. The best way to prevent fireplace sparks is to place a strong, heat-proof barrier between the flames and your room. Just make sure that you choose fireplace door materials that will allow you to burn your fire with the doors closed, like fully tempered safety glass with a long-lasting, aluminum frame.
- They Prevent Critters from Entering—Why is it that small animals seem to always wind up in the fireplace? If you live in an old home, you know that small rodents, birds and raccoons can enter your home through your chimney flue, resulting in a big hoopla wherein you either have to call an animal control expert or clumsily shoo the unwanted guest out the door! Preventing this is a two-fold operation. First, you need to hire a professional to cap your chimney with a mesh topper that keeps out animals but still allows for smoke and combustion to escape. Second, you need to close off the opening of the fireplace so that any trapped pests are contained until you can safely capture them with a net or a humane trap.
- They Add Extra Style—If you’re primarily concerned about aesthetics over function or safety, then you’ll definitely want to consider installing fireplace doors. From stylish, rustic fireplace barn doors on rollers to sleek and simple aluminum fireplace doors, these features work to add an elegant, decorative finish to any fireplace. They can also help to dress up old, damaged or worn-out fireplaces or add a modern feel to fire features that have become dated. You’ll find a door style to suit your specific interior design scheme!
- They Improve Efficiency—You probably already know that the temperature of your room can be altered by the fireplace, especially if it’s left open. Doors create an air-tight seal when closed, which prevents cool air from escaping in the summer and warm air from escaping in the winter. If your chimney is sucking out the desired air, you’ll need to up your energy consumption to keep things at a comfortable temperature. The United States Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy recommends installing tempered glass fireplace doors and a heat-air exchange system to make your fireplace and chimney extra-efficient.
As you can see, there’s a range of good reasons to install fireplace doors in your home, from preventing injuries and damage to lowering your energy costs. Hansen Wholesale is always on hand to help you order custom fireplace doors using our free design service. All you need to do is email us a photo of your fireplace and we’ll provide you with a mockup so that you can visualize your fireplace doors before you buy. This also ensures that you get the perfect size and style for your feature. Get started today with Hansen Wholesale!