There are a few types of light fixtures / kits that are available. From Dome Types, Bowl Types, Single Lights, 3-4 Light Fitters / Adjustable Fitters, and Outdoor Light Fixtures. Some light fixtures are universal and can be mixed between manufacturers; however the shopping cart system does not allow this. Ideally if you would like to go this route we recommend you call our toll free number at 1-877-332-6700. As far as the light fixtures go, here are the following types:
- Dome Lights Fixtures
- Dome light fixtures are very Popular with consumers who are trying to limit the depth or the length in which the light fixture hangs down as these types of light fixtures are more low profile than bowls or light fitters. Most Dome light fixtures come with Halogen bulbs, while some others come with Candelabra Base bulbs.
- Bowl Light Fixtures - Bowl light fixtures come in a variety of types and sizes. Some manufacturers sell the bowl separately from the fitter which gives consumers the option of going with CFL (Compact Fluorescent Bulbs) base or Candelabra Based Bulbs – while others sell the fitter and bowl inclusive. Some manufacturers also the ability to convert their bowl light fixture to an outdoor light fixture with the placement of a wet location plate, an example of a manufacturer who does this would be Emerson. Each bowl is limited to the color of finials (bottom cap) that are included, so be aware when purchasing what types of finials are included.
- Single Light Fixtures - Single light fixtures are typically seen are already lit applications where ceiling fan lighting is not priority lighting as single light fixtures are not typically high in wattage.
- 3-4 Light Fitters/Adjustable Fitters - 3-4 Light Fitters / Adjustable Fitters are the common choice for consumers who like directional lighting with a good amount of wattage / light. Typically seen with 4-40 watt bulbs, 4-60 watt bulbs, or 4 CFL Bulbs. Also come with your choice of glass, which is sold separately.
- Outdoor Lights - Outdoor Light Fixtures are becoming increasingly Popular with people who have little to no patio / porch lighting. Mostly unique in their design, aside from the dome outdoor light fixtures that exist, these light fixtures are able to withstand the elements. Each light fixture varies from Damp to Wet rated. Damp location light fixtures are able to withstand light mists and must be under a covered area. Wet light fixtures are fully enclosed and are able to withstand rain and the ability to be cleaned with a hose. (Note: Make sure your fan is Wet Rated before you do this)
Things to keep in mind when selecting a light fixture!
- When screwing in a halogen bulb make sure you do not do it with bare hands / fingers as the moisture and grease from your hands will affect the life of the halogen bulb.
- CFL (Compact Fluorescent) Bulbs are not dimmable and it is recommended that you get the proper control system (non-dimming, or non-dimming switch) for this light fixture type.
- Glass shades can be used on any type of 3-4 light fitter except for the Casablanca Socket-Ring Glass and Socket-Ring Fitters.
- Adjustable 4 Light Fitters have the tendency to droop with heavier glass, if questionable please call 1-877-332-6700 and ask about our glass shades for your fitter choice and which will best work with your fitter.
View All Ceiling Fan Light Fixtures by Manufacturer Here
- How does CFL Wattage compare to Incandescent Wattage?
- A 9-watt compact fluorescent bulb is similar to a 40-watt incandescent bulb.
- A 13-watt compact fluorescent bulb is similar to a 60-watt incandescent bulb.
- A 18-watt compact fluorescent bulb is similar to a 75-watt incandescent bulb.
- A 23-watt compact fluorescent bulb is similar to a 100-watt incandescent bulb.
- I've broken the glass on my light fixture; I do not have any information available as far as the light fixture goes. What do I do?
If the fan has a fitter with glass shades that are 2 ¼” we have replacement glass available. If the light fixture is one of the manufacturers we carry and you do not know the model number or any information on the light fixture, then please e-mail a picture of the fitter to
with a brief description of the glass and our ceiling fan specialists will do their best to assist you in the replacement of your glass. If the glass is of a manufacturer or model we do not carry, we do not have the glass or replacement glass you are looking for and we recommend you go to https://www.eceilingfans.com/
or the a local hardware store to where your ceiling fan was purchased.
- My fixture says I need to use a 60 watt bulb. Can I use a higher wattage?
It is not recommended that you use a higher wattage than specified. Exceeding the recommended wattage can create a great safety risk to your home.
- Do I need to purchase an outdoor light kit for my outdoor fan?
If your outdoor fan is located in a wet or damp environment, yes. You will need to purchase a compatible outdoor light kit.
- Can I use another manufacturer's light fixture on my ceiling fan?
Depending on the fan model. If your ceiling fan has a ‘center screw’ within the bottom cap of the motor housing it is most likely you can use a universal ceiling fan light fixture / fitter. Though, some fixtures and fitters vary from finish to finish from manufacturer to manufacturer. For example, you may run into Brushed Nickel vs. a Brushed Steel. While this may be similar, the finishes will differ.
- What is the difference between a light kit and a fitter?
A fitter requires glass. A light kit contains all the hardware, attachment pieces and glass required for use on the fan.
- Are light bulbs included with my light fixture/kit?
All light fixtures sold at CeilingFan.com include bulbs. By checking the light fixture tabs on the bottom of the product pages, you can hover over each individual light fixture for technical specs and bulb information / wattage.
- What are the dimensions of the light fixture I am interested in?
By checking the light fixture tabs on the bottom of the product pages, you can hover over each individual light fixture for technical specs and bulb information / wattage.